The Oasis Membership Covenant
When you make a vow to the Lord, do not delay in fulfilling it. He has no pleasure in fools. Fulfill your vow. It is better not to vow than to make a vow and not fulfill it. – Ecclesiastes 5:4-5
Whenever anyone enters into a relationship with God by grace from, and faith in, the person and work of Jesus Christ they are entering into two covenants. The first is to journey with God for the rest of their lives and love Him fully. The second is to journey with His other children in the community of the local church. Your membership in a church is an official recognition of this. The primary difference between an “attender” of a local church and a “member” of a local church is intentional commitment. Intentional commitment produces defined responsibility. Oasis Church recognizes the need for a formal membership for the following reasons:
- To form an authentic community that reflects the relationship between the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and the nature of biblical fellowship.
- To clarify the ongoing blessings and responsibilities of each member of the body of Christ.
- To encourage consistency, accountability and loving unity within the church family.
- To accomplish God’s mission for the Oasis Church family.
This covenant does not imply that you will never fall short of the goals, but that the desire of your heart is to fulfill each of the responsibilities stated to the best of your ability. We trust that your commitment will be a personal blessing to your own journey in Christ, as well as a blessing to those around.
The Covenant Promises
With the help of the Holy Spirit, the church leadership covenants the following:
- We covenant to lovingly care for you and seek your growth in Christ (Heb. 13:17; 1 Thess. 5:12).
- We covenant to provide teaching and counsel from the Scriptures (Gal. 6:6; 1 Tim. 5:17-18).
- We commit that this teaching will span the whole counsel of God’s Word (Acts 20:27-28)
- We covenant to help you in times of need (Acts 2:42-47, 4:32-35; James 2:14-17).
- We covenant that your elders and deacons will meet the criteria assigned to them in the Scriptures (1 Tim. 3:1-13, 5:17-22; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4).
- We covenant to pray for you regularly, particularly when you are sick (James 5:14).
- We covenant to be on guard against false teachers (Acts 20:28-31).
- We covenant to exercise church discipline when necessary (Matt. 18:15-20; 1 Cor. 5; Gal. 6:1).
- We covenant to help you become equipped to serve Christ (Eph. 4:11-13).
- We covenant to seek God’s will for our church family to the best of our ability as we study the Scriptures and follow the Spirit (Acts 20:28; 1 Peter 5:1-5).
- We covenant to set an example and join you in fulfilling the duties of church members (1 Cor. 11:1; Phil. 3:17; 1 Tim. 4:12).
With the guiding help of the Holy Spirit, I, the undersigned, publicly proclaim as follows:
- I believe Jesus Christ is exactly who he claimed to be (Isaiah 5:6; Matt. 26:64; Mark 14:62; Luke 22:70; John 4:25, 6:29, 8:58, 11:25-27, 14:6-7; 15:5). I have renounced my old way of life, repented of my sins, asked God to forgive my sins, to cleanse me and make me a new creation (1 John 1:9; 2 Cor. 5:17). I confess Jesus Christ as the Lord and Master of my life, and I have been baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- I commit to protecting the unity of the church by walking together in Christian love through the power of the Holy Spirit (John 13:34-35; Rom. 15:5; 1 Peter 1:22), by refusing to gossip (Eph. 4:1-3, 29), and by joyfully following the direction of the leaders of the church (Hebrews 13:17).
- I have read and believe the Oasis statement of faith and agree to not be divisive to its teaching (Romans 16:17).
- I will support the testimony of my church by striving to maintain a close relationship with the Lord jesus through regular personal Bible reading, prayer, fellowship, and other spiritual disciplines such as stewardship, evangelism, and service. My commitment to follow Jesus Christ will be evident through my regular participation in the Sunday gathering and worship services, my willingness to serve where needed, and my involvement in fellowship with other members of the church body (Psalm 119:97, 105:1-2; Acts 2:42-47; Hebrews 10:23-25).
- I will strive to properly manage the resources God has given me, including my time, body, spiritual gifts and talents, attitudes, finances and possessions (Prov. 3:9-10; Rom. 12:1-2; Eph. 4:1-16, 5:15-18; Gal. 5:22-26). This includes regular giving and service to the local church (Oasis) that is sacrificial, cheerful, active, and voluntary (Rom. 12:1-8; 2 Cor. 8-9, 12:7-31; 1 Peter 4:10-11).
- I commit myself to the Oasis Church family and agree to assist in fulfilling its mission to both be and take the gospel to the Athens community by being a doer of the Word and not a hearer only (Luke 14:23; Col. 4:5-6; Rom. 15:7).
- I covenant to have friendly Christian relationships with brothers and sisters from other churches, recognizing that together we are members of the universal body of Christ, but I will not function in leadership or as a member in another church family as long as I am a member of the Oasis family (Hebrews 13:7).
- I covenant to, if in the providence of God, I move from this place or God calls me to serve elsewhere, I will unite with another church where I can continue to carry out the spirit of this covenant and the principles of God’s Word.
- I covenant to submit to the authority of Scripture as the final judge on all issues (Psalm 119; 2 Tim. 3:16-17).
I have met with one of the Oasis elders to go over the details of this membership covenant. God enabling me, I will strive to consider my commitment to this Membership Covenant on a yearly basis. May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with us all.
All of the above information is available at every Sunday gathering. If you would like to know more about the membership covenant, or if you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact one of the church elders. All of our contact information is available on this website in the “Contact” section.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of Oasis Church Athens.